Sunday, August 12, 2007

A Belted Pillow!






I've been working on my kitchen table bench here and there today. We've had another busy day though! We made a Wal-Mart trip, ran by my granny's, and had lunch with my parents. So, I haven't been home long to make any progress. Mom just called five minutes ago and asked us out again to Guidos for dinner, so I will have to post quickly! The bench I made needs some color, and being on the strict budget we are on these days, I had to be pretty creative. $25.00 pillows from T.J. Maxx are simply out of the question! I had a plain brown pillow, but on top of that copper colored shower curtain, it just looked drab. I went down to my craft room and found some blue ribbon. I tried a few bows, but it just wasn't the look I wanted. My solution? I had a pretty rhinestone belt clasp on a really ugly belt. I got the belt a few months ago at the Salvation Army because of the bling, knowing I could use it somehow. Hey, for 75 cents, you can't go wrong! : ) I cut the ugly belt leather away, and used just the clasp to run the ribbon through and belt the pillow. I used safety pins to hold it up on the back because the clasp was so heavy, it was pulling the bow out. I also put a pin on each side of the bow, on the underside to make sure they fluff out and stay put. So stinkin' cute! A belted pillow! It will look smashing on my new bench. So, start looking for cute belts at garage sales. You can always belt pillows, and even lampshades. I really stole this idea from "My Furnitue My Way" in Springdale, where they are asking $60 for belted lampshades. As Martha Stewart always says, "It's a good thing!" Really good to do it at home, for free!

2 comments: