Thursday, August 9, 2007

Day three












Day three consisted of more bulletin board work, my library lounge area, and organizing the bins and storage containers I keep in our resource learning station. Again, David was a valuable asset. I really am fortunate to have a husband who is helpful. He comes every summer and helps me hang and organize. He also visits my classroom during the school year to meet my kids and have lunch with us. We will be going back tomorrow to work on my desk area, set up my computer, and hang some banners. With Open House in less than a week, I still have a lot to do! I need to create a system for checking out books- three Harry Potter books are missing- and name tags. With books missing, I know some of my kids last year smuggled them out. Oh well. I can't blame them- at least they want to read so bad they are willing to steal to support their cause. Twisted perspective from a Reading teacher, I suppose. : )I also need to get my birthdays posted and make welcome packets. I love making cute personalized stuff for my kids, when time allows. These days, you really can't afford to do all of that, and with more accountability and standardized testing, the cute projects are pretty much nonexistent. The emphasis is on new learning, better scores, and producing smart, savvy, citizens, capable of holding down professional jobs. If you can accomplish that with Popsicle sticks and peanut butter, you had better be able to prove it with research. I tend to have more fun in teaching than I really should, but my scores came back above the state's average, so it must be working. I think if you love the kids, they will love you and naturally do better. That has to be the secret. More pictures tomorrow!

4 comments:

  1. If three Harry Potter books are all you lost last year, you are doing well!!!! Your philosophy is right about books-if the kids keep the books, it is more an investment than a loss.

    I tried many systems of keeping track over my five years of teaching and the best method I found was the one I used last year. I kept everyone's name on an index card in small file box. When the students checked out a book, they had to write the title and the date on the index card. When they returned the book, they simply crossed the title off their index card. Periodically, (like once a month or so) I would go through and check the cards. I would ask the students where the book was, if they were finished or still reading it (if the title wasn't crossed off). I would also visit with the students about the books that were crossed of-like did they finish the book, did they like it, etc.

    It wasn't a flawless system, but I wasn't really a book nazi either. If the books got lost, they just got lost. I liked this system best because it put some responsibility on the kiddos but then I could really see who was reading and who wasn't, and knew who to target to help find books.

    Anyway, just thought I would share. Hope you find something that works well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You class room looks great Jessica. I just love the reading corner, & the nice big chairs to seat in. No one really knows the work that goes into getting ready for another year of school unless you are a teacher. Enjoy another group of children coming thru the 5th grade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your room looks great! You have been 1 busy girl.

    ReplyDelete