Saturday, August 4, 2007

Bevery Hills 90210


Okay, so I have to admit that I am a huge fan of Beverly Hills 90210- not to be mistaken with the Beverly Hill Billys, which probably more closely, and unfortunately, resembles my real life. Being born in 81' had its perks- cool bands like Duran Duran, Foreigner, and The Police, great fashion trends like slush socks, M.C. Hammer pants, blue eye shadow to the brow bone, and bangle bracelets, and movies like the Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, and Lost Boys. But T.V. was hot back then, too. In fact, one day last week, David and I were reminiscing about our childhoods and remarking on the little well-known phrase "T.G.I.F." Kids today simply believe that this refers to the upcoming weekend, while we remember it being a reference to television, and all the great shows staring at 5:00 p.m. Friday night- Saved By The Bell, Family Matters, Are you Afraid of the Dark, Fresh Prince, Who's the Boss, Full House... The list goes on. And what about cartoons and the like? I personally bet my money that Scrooge McQuak, from Duck Tales, could take Sponge Bob Square Pants any day of the week. I mean seriously, square pants do not help with balance. Sponge Bob doesn't stand a chance. Scrooge dove into a money-bin head first, and came up smiling, unbroken, and inspired enough to take on three crooks from prison, the Beagle Boys and their mama, so I really don't think being pummeled by a wet sponge is going to be a challenge. Cartoons today just don't hold a candle to what we used to watch growing up. But Beverly Hills 90210 holds a very special place in my heart. Upon visiting Best Buy last year, David sadly regretted my "tagging along", as he ended up spending $65.00 on the first season (Yes! Yes! Yes!) I watched it in all of two weeks. The teased hair, the big bangs, the bookbags pulled up high and tight, as if growing out of someone's shoulder blades all remind me of a more simple High School experience. When Rave hairspray came in a big blue canister complete with a numbering system for firmness, and when slap bracelets were the must have summer accessory, kids just seemed, well, more happy. My 5th graders have cell phones nicer than mine, and I remember when there was no internet! Yes, kids, no Internet. When I watch the opening credits of 90210 I immediately feel like my couch has become a time-machine, and I am whisked off to a far, far away land, somewhere in Beverly Hills, where the only things that matter are who your friends are, and where you are going for the weekend. In a way, those things still matter to me. Here is to a walk down memory lane with Brenda, Brandon, Dylan, Kelly, and Donna. In the words of Robin Leach, champagne wishes and Caviar dreams to the fabulous decade, the 80's!

4 comments:

  1. LOVED 90210. I cried when it ended. Seriously. They were the exact same age as me (on TV) ...followed the same year in school I was (which shows my age) so it was my absolute favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I had to leave a comment on this one!! I agree with you 100%!! I used to love TGIF!! Do you remember Perfect Strangers, Step by Step, and that dinosaur show that had that baby in the high chair?? Fun, sweet memories :) Amy Neal

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am an 80s girl too!

    Love that TGIF memory! So fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah slap bracelets! Saved by the Bell! Full House! 90210! Yep, dems was the days! And I totally agree, SpongeBob has nothing on DuckTales!

    ReplyDelete