Sunday, November 10, 2013

"Knock-Off" Subway Inspired Sugar Cookies: A Recipe

Okay, y'all!
These cookies have a story behind them.
 
I bake all. the. time.
And when I say that, what I really mean is once a week.
I bake cookies every single week.
 
Harbor eats them.
David eats them.
I eat them.
Another person who also eats them is me.
{you get the picture!}
: )
 
And I'm always trying new recipes.
So, when I made these sugar cookies, and David held up his hand and said,
"No more recipes. THIS is it. These are the ones!"
I made a mental note of it.
And he is 100% right.
 
We've nicknamed them:
"The Subway cookies"
Because they taste like Subway's cookies.
And that is a pretty big statement.
 
Let me share them with you.
I'll bet you agree.
: )
 
 
The recipe looks simple.
 
And it is. But the taste is anything but.
 
You will need:
2 3/4 cup white all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup butter, left out and softened at room temperature for about 30 min {important!}
1 1/2 cups of white sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
 
You don't have to have a fancy-pants mixer to make these work-
hand-held or wooden spoon will work, too.
: )
 
Start by creaming your butter and sugar.
I think a big "secret" of this recipe is to soften the butter on the counter-
no microwave!

 
Then beat in your egg and vanilla.

 
Your dough will start to come together quickly.

 
Add your soda in first.

 
And then your powder
{note that they are different amounts!}

 
Blend those in one at a time.

 
Add your flour slowly, a half cup or so at a time.

 
And make sure it is thoroughly mixed.

 
It will start to become really thick and heavy.

 
And then you know it is done.
 
Try not to over mix.
Easier said than done. I know.

 
Use some type of scoop.
I use a cookie scoop, but a measuring spoon or small ice cream scoop will also work.

 
It is an important step:
the cookies will bake evenly and all be the same "doneness" if they are the same size.
 
Place them on an ungreased cookie sheet-
no grease and no foil!
 
Don't crowd them.

 
Make sure your oven is preheated to 375 degrees.

 
Pop them in.
 
I bake them one tray at a time.
And I never use the same tray twice.
I load my next batch on a cold tray.

 
Bake them only 8-10 minutes.
They will be white on top and a tiny bit golden on the sides.
If you find yourself looking at them and wondering if they are done,
then they are.
Take them out!
 
Hard cookies mean over baked cookies.
If you see "gold" anywhere on these sugar cookies, take them out.

 
They have the perfect texture:
a chewy crust on the outside and a soft, fluffy center.

 
Man, they are good.

 
They are a perfect sweet treat on the couch

 
or on the floor
{especially if you are on the run and hiding them from your family!}

 
They aren't too sweet, but just sweet enough.

 
And you don't even have to have a Subway sandwich before you eat one.
: )

 
 photo signature_zpsf4b92bae.jpg

4 comments:

  1. Subway cookies are the best! I will have to try these. Another reason I need a stand mixer:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yay! I have been looking for a good sugar cookie recipe! Can not wait to try these....Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!! I can't wait to try and make these. I'm not much of a baker, so hopefully I can pull these off! My family will be super impressed if I can! :) Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you me and my dad wanted something sweet, I made these they came out perfect.my dad eat most of them before the were cool. Thank you for sharing.:)

    ReplyDelete