Monday, October 1, 2007

My Rotten, Horrible, No Good Day!

Monday mornings are always hectic for me. I usually end up having a late Sunday night, which it turn means a groggy first hour or so in the morning. Last night, David and I got in bead around 11:00 p.m. We are night owls and this is pretty routine for us. We try to be in bed by 10:00, but it NEVER happens like that. I craft, clean, talk to my mom,.... I can just never get there. But I am SO totally okay with that. I love having "me" time at night.

Monday mornings are also busy for me because I have duty from 7:30 to 8:00 a.m., and then after school duty as well. Our district also has meetings after school on Mondays- Mondays for me are like watching Lifetime movies; they are really not all that bad, but geez, are they long!!

This morning started out like any other- talking to Bichon in bed, laughing at her antics, visiting with David in the bathroom getting ready, telling jokes to get the other moving. David left before I did this morning, so I headed out after he had been gone a good 20 minutes. With a 4 minute commute, I can get there in record time! And that is just what I did this morning!

As I was nearing HWY 62 from our subdivision, I noticed how heavy the traffic was. I knew I would have to get on the gas if I was going to make it on time to get through the traffic. As I waited for a break in the flow, I sang along to Foreigner's Urgent. "Urgent, Urgent, EMERGENCY!!" I was grooving. As I turned left and put the pedal to the metal, I heard a gunshot- from inside my car!!!

I tried to drive straight, but I was as scared as Star Jones going under the knife. I ducked my head, closed my eyes, kept a few fingers on the steering wheel, and began to sing "Jesus, Take the Wheel!" Then I felt it. From my ceiling, came a dripping brown, wet, sticky substance. Was it blood? I just knew one of my kids had finally taken me out, just like they'd promised. Gosh, whatever it was, it smelled...good. Like coke. Coke? Coke? Oh my....

I drove on down the road, unable to stop as the can sprayed itself all over me, the interior of my cream car, my perfectly bobbed bob of a hair do, all the while, coating everything with a thin glaze of carmelized sugar. It coated my windshield, and in order to keep going, I had to wipe a spot clean with my bare hand. When I came to a stop I resembled a chicken factory worker- only in pink heels, minus the feathers, and plus the graded papers that hung to me like, well, like only papers sprayed down with coke can do. I was in tears by the time I arrived to my first class. I was sticky, smelly, and thirsty. My lunch coke was officially out of commission. All twelve of them.

A student whispered that I should have been drinking water anyway. I thought to myself, I should be drinking whiskey agreeing to work here with you, but I bit my tongue. And it hurt. The longer the day went on, the more depressed and obsessed I got. The interior of my car reached 90 degrees. And all the while the coke dried, and hardened, and turned into a solid, back to a liquid, and finally into a mineral rock substance. It baked onto my CD collections, my leather seats, my mechanical buttons and levers, and onto my gearshift.

I emailed David is hysterics, asking him to quit his job, drive to my school ,and have my car detailed. He refused. He laughed. He thought it was quite comical. I cried. I cursed, and taught the scientific elements needed to create a vortex.

As I crawled to my teacher's meeting at 3:30, I tried to peer my car in the parking lot, and spotted it easily. It was the pimped out car with the blackened windows. If anyone were to try to look into it, they would notice the windows were blackened by a liquid, and would have seen the twelve spewed cans floating around the front seat like Baby Ruths in a swimming pool.

At 4:30, I rushed out of my meeting, and opened the hot car. The smell was sweet. The inside was black. My roof, yall, was the worst. I could actually hear the Jaws music in my head. My beamer had become the stunt car of Chris Rock on Rush Hour. It was "tuff". As I drove home, I tried to think of what Jesus would do. I figured he would have been drinking water.

David met me on the porch all smiles. He carried a big bucket of hot water, and our whole collection of chemicals. "Yes!" I screamed. "Yes!!" I yelled to the neighborhood! "Bring all the chemicals you can find!!!" "We are going to have mix them together to make it strong enough!!"

At that very moment, yall, one of my students rode down the driveway. I am not kidding. He took one look at the blackened windows, the "obvious" drinking problem I had (obvious by the million cans spewing in my floorboard, blackening my windows), and David holding every chemical cleaner under the sun, and simply sat on his bike, and stared at me. I stared at him. The sun glinted off my chintzy sunglasses. He raised his eyebrow and said, "Coke, hu?" "Yes." I replied.

He nodded, still looking at me. He thinks I'm making meth, I sighed to myself.

After an hour of scrubbing, we are making progress.

There is no real moral to this story. It was just a rotten, horrible, no good day.

12 comments:

  1. Hey kid don't be so hard on yourself tomorrow is another day, the coke will clean up and you can shower. But think of the clever party story you now have. This one will pretty much top everybody's.
    Love ya lots! Keep smiling.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite line is "he thinks I'm making meth." LOL....this was a great story, even though I know it sucked for you!!! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh - that's awful. Glad you can (kind of) laugh about it. What made those cokes explode?
    That's why I drive through Sonic every morning for my coke fix! :-)Cans are too dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness Jesscia...I hate that happened to you, thats a awful way to start a week but it could be worse, when bad things happen its just part of life, but keep telling the funny stories & keep us all laughing & tomorrow will be another day & you can look back on all the stuff that happens & maybe it won't seem so bad the next day. I can just see David waiting on you in the driveway with his little bucket of hot water ready to assist you, ha!!!!! Maybe you should think about giving up Coke, water is cheaper....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear that you had such a crummy day. But, thanks for making the rest of us laugh. :) I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at me getting on the computer after I get home to see if there is anything new on your blog, ha!!!!This is out of control...Maybe I just needed a good laugh & I thought "I know I'll go & check Jessica's blog to see if she has anything new going on". I just watched reruns of your open house, Ha!!!!Check back with you later....Love you....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jessica! Thanks for the comment - I'm glad you like the sweater. I think it turned out nicely. =)

    Your blog is fun - I'll have to stop by again! I'm sorry your day was so horrible. Thanks for sharing with us...it was quite funny from our perspective! I hope today was better! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So very sorry to hear about the coke explosion.

    I guess next time you will keep them in a cooler while you travel down the road.

    So sorry but you did make it funny for your readers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dawson's birthday is the 25th - I mentioned to all the neighbor kids that we might have a party with hats and a dog cake from the dog bakery in Rogers. Not sure yet. Dawson doesn't really like kids - so that is tricky. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. www.bigwag.com

    It's behind Popeyes in Rogers on Walnut. Kind of near the Rogers wal-mart. It's great - they have all kinds of treats in neat shapes that you can pick and they have these great bone shaped cakes and "pupcakes". You can take the dogs there. We have yet to take Dawson there but I have gone and gotten him treats and treats for his doggie cousins for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. well, you're a better woman than I am. I'd have said to heck with being on-time and went home, changed - driven to the car wash and then arrived late to work. however, i'm not a school teacher so i've no concept what that means. i wish i'd seen you layered in coke all day though. don't you have even a 10 minute break poor girl?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my! I can't even imagine!
    But look at the bright side. At least all of our bad luck gives us something good to blog about!

    ReplyDelete