Tuesday, June 24, 2008

What's New!

This last week has been a bit on the crazy side. Last Tuesday, while watching my nieces, I had a backache all day, and I pretty much dismissed it as a pregnancy pain, nothing more. Well, after the girls went home for the night, it turned into a really bad backache with abdominal cramping. I cramped and cramped.. and I got really worried. I couldn't even lie down for the severity of the pain. My whole stomach knotted up and got hard, and I was a bit afraid I could be having a miscarriage. Around three o'clock in the morning I woke David up and told him something was horribly amiss. The cramps got harder and harder, and he ran me to the ER at my clinic for after hours emergencies. We had to wait four hours before seeing a Dr. (Go figure!!) and when they finally got around to seeing me (It was the night of the full moon and they had apparently delivered 10 babies that night), they informed me I had a pretty bad urinary tract infection. Joy... Now, I have had UTI's before, but this felt NOTHING like that.. I had no burning, urgency, etc... I just had the back pain and cramps that were beyond any period cramping I have ever experienced. (I know, I know... just wait until I go into labor, right?) Ha, ha! But, the Dr. on call did tell me it was very likely I was having contractions with the cramping, just due to the infection, so it was good that I came in when I did.

So, after a week of antibiotics, I feel much better, but I hate that I gave a whole of my summer vacation up to a UTI. I know it could have been worse, but I am a cranberry guzzling gal now, so hopefully I can avoid another one during this pregnancy at least.

In other news, Bichon had a play date with Tilly while her mom and I (my Aunt, Cathy) worked on yard sale stuff. This coming Saturday is a big neighborhood yard sale in the town where I graduated, and it is a big deal. Not really, but it is a well attended event and David and I clean out every year for it. We usually make pretty good money, so I am hoping this year is no exception.







I am 18 weeks along today. I can honestly say this pregnancy is flying by. Before I was pregnant, everyone said how long nine months was to wait for something, and truly, I don't feel like I have waited at all. I am actually wishing it would slow down a little bit. At my last appointment, my Dr. said by now I would be pretty much about 1/2 way through, and I was in total disbelief. I'm sure by the end I'll be wishing I could speed it up, but right now I am loving it.







Today, I went by Kellye's house to see her new baby boy, L.J. He is a cutie and looks just like his daddy. I had a great time visiting with his mom and dad and catching up with them. L.J. knew where his little thumb was and just sucked away. He is really sweet and I know they are a very happy family. : )





With the baby on the way, David and I have been discussing a video camera, but just really felt like what we wanted was way out of our price range. My mom has a great camcorder, but it is really hard to watch because you have to hook it up to the t.v. with tons of cords, and use the video recorder to watch it, which means any baby videos we take will have to be watched at their place, etc, etc... We do however have a recorder on our camera, and for the most part it works great. It is clear and sharp and easy to watch at home, but it is not a true camcorder, and really not what I want. Today, David surprised me a digital video camera that is just perfect for what I wanted. He bought it new online at a great steal of a price, so I couldn't be mad at him. Ha, ha! : ) He loves to shop for "surprises", but since it was something we have discussed and something I wanted, I was elated he found one so reasonable. It is really lightweight and small, so I know it will be perfect for what I want to use it for. Since it is digital, all the videos will be ultimately on DVD's, and I am thrilled that they will be easier to organize than bulky VHS tapes of days past.





David and I decided, very last minute, to make a trip to Gulf Shores, Alabama to the beach for a couple days vacation. Yes, I know gas is horrible right now, but maybe the beach won't be crowded. : ) My parents have decided to come also, so I am really pumped about the four of us spending some quality time together. My dad wants to see Fort Morgan, and David wants to tour the U.S.S. Alabama battleship in Mobile, so we may try to squeeze in a few activities other than beach bumming. We have all been there before, but it has been several years. Two years ago we went to the beach, but went to Monterey Bay in California, so it has been awhile since we have visited the good ol' Atlantic. My Motherhood swimsuit is ready to go (I just hope they are prepared to stop every hour to let me pee!!! Ha, ha!) On vacations, we always all split the gas, so no one couple is paying, even with my parents. Hopefully we can get there on three tanks tops, and with lodging and food being our only real expenses, I think it may be a really cheap get-away, which will be nice. Many of the hotels are hurting for business and are offering stellar deals, so all I can do is hope for sunny, warm weather and good fireworks. With David taking six hours of classes at UofA this summer, he needs the break, and I am dying for some fun beach "belly" shots. It will be our last vacation away before the baby arrives, so memory making is a necessity. : )


42 comments:

  1. Aren't you a cutie with your preggo self! It is so true how fas this time will fly. It seems like yesterday that I was pregnant with Shelby and she turns 5 on Sunday!

    Have fun in Gulf Shores. We drove thru once when I was up in Crestview FL for a business trip. It seemed so pretty. We scrapped our big trip this summer due to the cost of flights and gas. We had hoped to go to Montana and Colorado but no go. So we are considering going to Charleston for a long weekend. I love the old charm of that city. I could easily move there. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an ordeal you have been through, I am glad that you sought out help and have gotten things on the road to recovery. You are such a beautiful mommy to be, I just love your happy photos and it sure is nice that it is because you are enjoying your pregnancy so. Have a nice trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey chica. I will see u Saturday morning, hopefully! I will be over there bright and early! Since I'll know what I"m having, I'm hitting them hard from here on out! It's been hard to stay away, but there'll be no stopping me now!! Gulf Shores sounds like a blast!! You'll have a great time! When are you leaving? What else? OH, your belly is precious! Can't wait to get over and see it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I will definitely be going to some garage sales this weekend. Which neighborhoods are having them? You look ADORABLE and I can't believe you're 18 weeks already! My mom just got back from a girls' trip to Gulf Shores and she had so much fun--I know you'll have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! Hope you are feeling better now. Just an FYI........I had severe and I do mean SEVERE back pain years back. I had to go to the ER in the middle of the night it was so bad. They kept telling me it was a UTI and a year, yes I said a whole YEAR later, they discovered it was my gallbladder! Just something to think about. Hopefully yours is truely a UTI but if you still have your gallbladder, I would keep an eye on it and dont eat popcorn! That will set you off!!!! Have a fun trip to the beach! I am jealous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to hear you're feeling better. Your pregnancy pictures are so cute!! Have fun at the beach :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY for Gulf Shores. Wish you could swing by for a visit:) When are you going? Wish it was the same time we are. Wouldn't that be fun???

    Love all the prego pics. You look adorable:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look great! So glad the UTI is better. They are horrible!!!

    My parents are about to go to Gulf Shores too. They begged us to come, but I wanted to stay close to home with my due date just a little over 4 weeks away.

    You guys have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so cute in your belly pics. Have fun at the beach. I am heading to Dallas for a long weekend. When do you find out what you are having?

    I was going to honk at you guys last night. David was driving the jeep pulling out on 62 from your house.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look so darn cute!! I'm glad to hear that it was just a UTI and nothing more!! I know that it was no fun, but it is a much better alternative then some other things!!

    Have a great time on your beach vacation!! I can't wait to go on vacation later this summer...I'm dying!! Can't wait to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have fun on your little vacation. We loved Gulf Shores. I am looking forward to taking my boys to see the USS Alabama. I have pictures of me and my brother on the ship so want to take pix of my boys in the same spots.

    BTY...you look GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow-Wee that was along post!

    I know you must have been freaking out about the cramps! I'm so happy it was just a UTI! I'm glad to know the baby is okay!

    The beach trip sounds like a real blast! I love the beach, sand, water, sun, tanning oil, yummy seafood...yeah...I could go on and on!!!! Yall be safe and have a WONDERFUL trip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so sorry you had to go through all that pain! I am sure you were scared to death. You are looking adorable by the way. Have fun on your vacation. Check my blog later today! I have some BIG news!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are adorable! I hate UTI and they are very common when you are pregnant, I had them with both of my boys. We do to Dauphin Island, AL evey year and we have a blast! Hope you guys have a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow!! So much to say I hope I can remember!!

    1. Praise God you are okay. I was scared too death as I read. Sorry you were uncomfortable but I'm so thankful is was not anything more serious

    2. You in that dress are Beautiful!! Adorable!! Radiant!!

    3. Congrats on the new recorder!! That is amazingly small. I think that would be what I want.

    4. I have always wanted to go to Gulf Shores. Take lots of pictures!! BE CAREFUL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We are going to be in Gulf Shores vacationing from July 6th til the 10th. We would love to do lunch one day....just let me know:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You look so aodrable! I hope you have a great time in Gulf Shores...we go to the beach in July and I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  18. jessica, your little preggo belly is looking so cute! thanks for the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope you don't mind me stopping by your blog. I found you through Mandy, and reading about your pregnancy, husband, and love for your pup sounds so much like my life (other than it took us 6 years to get pregnant, urgh!)You look absolutely gorgeous and I am glad to hear you are feeling better. I battled UTI's while pregnant also. I am sure you will love every minute of pregnancy like I did. It was great, but having our precious baby boy is even better! They are such blessings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Goodness--so sorry about your scare...I'm really glad to hear you and baby are okay! You look so cute in the pictures on your porch.

    Have fun in GS!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey now...we are going to be at Orange Beach through the 3rd!!!! How funny--we will be so close!

    Love the belly shots of you by the front door--you totally match the wreath and all! CUTE!!!

    Pregnancy is flying by for me too--weird how that is. I guess it's just one of the ways that God shows us we can endure anything with a positive mind!

    Hope your UTI gets better. DRINK WATER all you can! It will help!

    have fun at the beach--maybe we will run into one another?

    amanda

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey Jessica! I have been a lurker for quite a long time, now. I am so happy for your and your hubby and the new baby. How exciting is that! I wanted to get in touch with you and see if you are painting any tiles these days? I knew with the baby you may not be but.. just in case you were.. I wanted to order one. :) Love the blog and Thanks for sharing!

    My email address is mnjcash2003@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey I'm glad you're feeling better! When is your ultrasound to find out what the baby is? I know you said July is it soon? DO you want a boy or girl?
    ~Melody

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jessica-
    You look so cute! I am so thankful you and the baby are okay! Whew...that was scary!

    Have fun on your Gulf Shores trip! I'm sure the summer is flying by for you just like it is for me! Summers always go too fast when you're a teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I hope you guys have a great time on your trip. Gulf Shores is a home away from home for us. My parents have a condo there so I pretty much grew up at the beach. Love it!!

    You look great in those photos. I am sure that UTI was a scary experience for you. Glad to hear that you are feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You look SO cute!!!!!
    And how fun to be going to Gulf Shores. I LOVE it there. I'm a little jealous - I wish we were going there this year. I think we have it planned to go late summer next year if baby will let us!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Glad to hear it was only a UTI. Love the preggo pics! Your adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  28. First time poster here! Glad to hear you are feeling better! Any pain during pregnancy is scary stuff. I had a similar experience with my daughter when I was 34 weeks. Like you I went to the ER where they diagnosed me with a UTI. But the pain increased and got worse so my own doctor saw me a day later and said, "Noooo! They said you have a UTI!? They missed your kidney infection!!" Long story short, I spent a miserable MISERABLE 3 days of intense kidney/back pain before the antibiotics could kick the infection's butt. Oh, that was a rotten time. SO glad you caught your UTI in time - before it became a kidney infection! Its definitely a good idea to be safe and not sorry.

    Probably the last thing you want here is advice or stories from a total stranger :) Sorry about that.

    And the other girls are right - you are an adorable preggo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. You look great!!! I hope you have a wonderful vacation. This is the best time to spend quality time together with family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Super cute pics of you and your growing belly! You look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hey....when are you leaving for Gulf Shores? We are going to July 12th to stay at Fort Morgan. WE CANNOT WAIT!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. The 2nd trimester is the quickest I think, then it takes forever for the last six weeks to happen. Its something that you have to experience to understand...your time is coming. My friend, Pamela, that you went to some classes with, had her baby yesterday!
    I feel for you with the UTI. I had a horrible one, but the only symptoms were a very high fever.

    Oh, I cleaned a house the past week and thought of you. The girls room was adorable! She had a sitting room and bathroom plus the actual bedroom area. Every part of her room had a chandilier with all kinds of sparkling crystals! I wished I could have taken pics, but he's pretty high profile around here. I don't think the would have allowed that! The whole house was decorated great...probably the best one I've seen so far.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Jessica,
    You look gaw-jus! Just gaw-jus!
    I too loved being pregnate. I seriously comtenplated being a surrogate at one time. That is how much I enjoyed it. I am glad you are finding it enjoyable. It does go by quickly.
    Good for the digital camera. It will pay off in the memory ot peserves.
    Glad you are all getting to get away to the beach. Hope you have a wonderful & safe trip.
    Hey-are you going to find out the sex of the baby?

    ReplyDelete
  34. You are looking so cute with you little belly! I am sure the beach belly pictures will be beautiful! Enjoy it because after the baby is here, you will look back and really think how fast the time went by. Emily will be a year next week and I still miss being pregnant some days! I hope you have a great break away from the everyday while you are at the beach! Be careful!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hey Jess! Okay David brought some Tortilla Soup to work today it smelled delicious! Can I get that recipe from you please? Oh I almost bought you a little baby dress at Target! The dress was brown and pink polka dot with a brown and pink striped diaper cover! Oh my gosh it was adorable! I just didn't wanna get the baby something if it was a boy and I got him a girl outfit haha!~

    ReplyDelete
  36. AHHHHHH! I have been away for so long that I didn't know you were pregnant! Congratulations!!! I switched my feed reader thingy (I am so technical, aren't I?) and lost your feed. But now I am back and I am sending all my love your way!!!

    (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  37. I hope you are feeling better! I'm so glad you got a video camera, it looks pretty cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Post something already!!! I don't know...how about a shot of your belly so we can see how bi your getting??

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hope everything is going okay! I will be right behind you, I am 14 weeks pregnant! A little sooner than we were expecting but I'll take it!

    ReplyDelete
  40. hey Jess. Really pay attention to your body as well since it is your first pregnancy. If you have any of that back labor or cramping get to the Dr. Seriously. Don't worry about thinking you are crazy either. Also, with the antibiotics ask them if you can take something to replace your good bacteria like an acidophilus supplement or something. You may not be able to take that when you are pregnant. I can't remember. Sorry for all of my advice but I don't like to hear about labor pains at that time and not say anything. I had contractions for 11 weeks before I ever had morgan but I was also in the hospital. Praying for your pregnancy and I am so glad you went to the ER!!! Keep drinking that juice.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Come see our Annoucement!!!
    And how are ya doing??

    ReplyDelete