Tuesday, July 31, 2007

My Mother's Protege










I had to show off my foyer because I finally have the wall space I needed to hang my mom's 1st Christmas gift to us as a married couple- her cross stich. My mom has been an avid craft nut my whole life- painting, sewing, cross stitching, designing, antiquing, refurbishing old furniture, you name it.... I remember being in 5th grade and watching her grow gourds in our backyard for the purpose of sanding them, painting them, and turning them into realistic Santa faces complete with beard and hat. They came out quite beautifully and my mom was the rave of the neighborhood. I need to dig out a photo and show you- those silly gourds grew on thick vines, and they wound their way up our three story brick house, onto the eaves, and once even grew over the screen door. No one could get out until mom went to collect her "Santa Veggies". She really got into embossing and framing for awhile too. When we lived in Germany for three years, my mom and I used to partake of a German cultural event, called "Junking". Junking is where you leave your junk outside, and at all hours of the night it is completely legal to take their junk, and even leave some of yours in its place. I know that is where I learned to take nothing and find it a purpose and a home. I was the star of the show in 3rd grade, when for a book report my mom helped me make a then life-size paper mache rabbit, which stood over 4 ft. tall. I think I was the kid the other kids loved to hate. As a teacher, I see a lot of that now! : ) My dad also made a lot of furniture when I was younger, and the two of them would be in our basement all hours of the night finishing up projects. (Oh my gosh! David and I have craft rooms in our basement! Are we turning into our parents??)My mom's sister is the exact same way! They used to make Christmas decor that would put Kirklands out of business. I guess what I am trying to say is that crafting, decorating, and creativity run in my family. I am so happy to be able to display her "McCash" cross stitch in my foyer. Every time I see it, it just says to me, Welcome Home!"

6 comments:

  1. Your Mother...AKA= KarenJuly 31, 2007 at 2:04 PM

    Wow, Miss Jessica. I didn't think about all of that crafty stuff that I've done over the years, but I guess you have grown up around it all your life. But its a good way to keep your self busy & out of trouble. And as you can see its fun....but the money that you can spend can add up fast. Keep on crafting girl friend....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to tell you that your home is just beatuiful, I'm so happy for you & David. Its all come together so nice. And I really miss Bichon...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your foyer looks great! I guess the crafting is in your blood. :)

    Love the new look of your website.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mom is very gifted. It's beautiful. And your house is gorgeous!!
    I love your blog design.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl, I know all about having a crafty mom. We had puff-paint sweatshirt dresses, newspaper comic hair bows, and cross-stiched collars. If it was at the mall, my mom thought she could make it!! Good times...

    ReplyDelete