Monday, October 28, 2013

Our Favorite {homemade} Pizza Dough: A Recipe

 
Hello, friends!
 
I hope you had an excellent weekend.
I'm recovering from a surprise trip David planned for the kids and me.
It involved hiking at 9,000 feet, an alpine lake nestled in Aspen trees, and lots of snow.
Pictures to follow!
 
All of that effort always makes me want comfort food- and simple food, at that!
So, I thought I'd share our very favorite pizza dough recipe.
I've tried lots of dough recipes over the years,
but this one makes my husband compliment my culinary skills.
 
Which means obviously, it's the winner.
: )
 
Start with:
2 1/2-3 cups all purpose flour
1 package of dry active yeast {NOT rapid rise yeast}
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup water {120 degrees}
2 tablespoons olive oil
{I also use a thermometer- a must have in bread!}
 
 
This is the temperature gauge I use.
I bought it at the grocery store for about $12.00
It might seem expensive, but I was wasting that much in flour and yeast a month making rocks for dinner rolls until I discovered I did really require it.


 
Directions:
In a large mixing bowl, toss in 1 1/4 cups of flour, the yeast, and the salt.

 
Next, run your tap water until hot and fill a one cup measuring container.
It has to be the right temperature.
Too cold? The yeast won't activate.
Too hot?  The yeast dies.
I like to get my water at exactly 115-120 degrees.

 
Toss the water and oil into your dry ingredient bowl.

 
I use my mixer, but if you don't have one, no worries. 
Use a hand held or a wooden spoon.
I first use my paddle to mix- and then switch to my bread hook.

 
After you've mixed the dough well for about three minutes,
add the remaining flour.
{I switch to my bread hook at this point}

 
Knead on high (6-8 minutes or so) until the bread pulls away from the bowl cleanly.

 
It will look like this:

 
Cover in a draft free place and let rest for 15 minutes.

 
When I cover, I tuck my towel completely around the dough.
I don't like air sitting under the top whatsoever.

 
You know it is done when it has doubled in bulk.

 
Divide the dough into two equal parts.
Create two pan pizzas by using your hands to roll and stretch the dough.
Lightly grease metal pans- no need to grease stones.

 
Build up the sides.

 
And bake about 10 minutes in a 425 degree oven.

 
Meanwhile, assemble toppings.


Pull your pizzas out of the oven and spread sauce on the hot semi-baked dough.





 
Put finished pizzas back in the oven and cook for 10 more minutes, or until toppings bubble.

 
This crust is perfect!
Crunchy on the outsides and rich and chewy on the inside.

 
And the final test?

 
It's a winner!
: )

 
Perfect for those recovering from mountain hikes and Sunday afternoon football!
 
 photo signature_zpsf4b92bae.jpg

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing the recipe... now I am hungry!! As always love your blog. www.theermisfamilyest1993.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good and I think even I could make it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete