Monday, May 19, 2014

"No-time-to-Wait" Lasagna

I'm always surprised to hear from friends and family who have never attempted lasagna.
 
This recipe is one I seem to make a lot-
for new mothers who have just had babies, company coming by to share a meal with us, or because my family requests it.
 
And it is really, really quick!
 
In a few months, I'll have three children, ages five and under {gulp!} and I'm just not in a season of life where I have the luxury of time on my side.
 
So, if you're looking for a lasagna that requires mincing garlic, browning sausage in addition to beef, and simmering a sauce half the day... this isn't it, folks!
: )
 
This is "No-time-to-Wait" lasagna!
 
Start with:
lean ground hamburger beef
one package of no-boil lasagna noodles
a few eggs
a small tub of ricotta cheese
one can of diced tomatoes
a bag of mozzarella cheese
a jar of spaghetti sauce {I like to use one with garlic since I'm not mincing any!}
Italian spice mix and a few spoonfuls of good ol' sugar
 
 
 
Brown your meat and drain off any fat before returning to your pan

 
Gather two eggs, your ricotta, and the Italian seasoning

 
Mix it all up in a small bowl
{I don't measure my seasoning- don't worry about it! Just sprinkle some on}

 
Preheat your oven to 375'
{Yes, I'm making dinner at 2:00 in the afternoon. Nap times are my work times and this recipe can be made and stored in the refrigerator until needed!}

 
Add your can of diced tomatoes, undrained.
You will need all the juice!

 
Top with your spaghetti sauce

 
I like to use this sauce because it already has added garlic and onions.
When you really are in a hurry, it is a huge shortcut!

 
Add to your sauce some Italian seasoning and sugar to taste.
We really like a bit of sugar to balance the acidity and round out the flavor.

 
Simmer your sauce for as long as you can- 15 minutes is fine!
If you have more time, go for it!
: )
 
Toss some sauce in the bottom of a large baking dish.

 
Layer your no-boil noodles.
I use six and just overlap the edges.

 
Dollop a good portion of your ricotta mixture on top.

 
And spread it out.
Make sure to cover your noodle edges!
If not well covered, they won't cook.

 
Top with shredded cheese

 
and add a bit more meat sauce.

 
Layer and repeat

 
At the end {when you run out of noodles!}top with the meat sauce and shredded cheese.

 
Cover with foil and bake at 375 for 35 to 40 minutes.

 
It comes out beautifully thick, hearty, and filling!
It tastes like you slaved away all day in the kitchen- but you didn't!

 
My family doesn't know that though, so don't tell them, mmm k'ay?
: )

 
{I've added this recipe to my recipe link above in order to find it quickly!}
 
 
 photo signature_zpsf4b92bae.jpg

1 comment: